The One That Got Away

This morning, I received a tweet from my friend, Oliver King, president of St. Louis Cremation:

“When you look at your life, the greatest happinesses are family happinesses”, attributed to Joyce B.

It does not get much truer than that.

From Left: Ivey, Megan, Jelly, Kelsey…making best of the rain

Took a boat full of teens+ shark fishing for a few hours yesterday. Weather started off drizzling and it was slack tide.

I had very low expectations.

Although just a baby, Kelsey caught the first shark

It wasn’t too long before Kelsey, one of Jelly’s friends caught the first one….a baby Reef Shark. After that, it seemed to break loose as the tide started changing and the sun came out (sort of).

Megan meets the shark.

We caught several Reef and Bull Sharks in the 3-4′ range and then Daniel hooked a large stingray. Twenty minutes later, we got the very unhappy ray along side the boat and cut it loose.

Daniel is Kelliann’s boyfriend and even though she could not come down, he drove down for the fishing. This picture was taken about 15 minutes into his fight with the Sting Ray

It was about five feet across and was estimated by the captain to be just over 100 lbs.

This was a very unhappy…and strong Sting Ray

I caught this baby just as Daniel was getting the Sting Ray to the side of the boat. I then re-baited the hook, threw it in and shortly thereafter hooked the “monster” that we never saw. As you can see, not heavy tackle.

A few more baby and immature sharks and then I hooked something on the lightest pole, with 30lb braided wire….not exactly big shark tackle.

I handed over the pole to Jelly early on and for the next 45 minutes, we took turns trying to get the fish close enough to even just get a glimpse of what it was and how big it was. We would get it close, maybe within 30 ft of the boat and then it would run out 50 yds of line. It was very exciting.

Most of us took turns with this one, but Jelly did most of the work…the one that got away.

As we were running out of time, the captain tried to increase the drag on the line, which promptly snapped. We will never know what was on that hook, but Capt. John though it acted like a Bull Shark in the 6-8ft range.

When it was all over, we had brought 6-8 sharks on board (and then released) and two, big fish that we could not get aboard.

While most of us were watching Jelly fight the big one, “flipper” came up along the other side of the boat and posed for this picture.

It was a great afternoon and naps were in order.

Yes,….Family happiness.

About Ray V.

Living between Aiken & Charleston,, South Carolina, USA, I like to share what I am looking at, thinking about or listening to. I refer to this as the view out my window. Thanks for stopping by.
This entry was posted in The One that got away and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to The One That Got Away

  1. Cheri says:

    What great fun and a wonderful time, indeed. These types of adventures are priceless my friend.


  2. Phyllis Loftis says:

    What a fun day! Thanks for sharing! Yeah, Flipper! How cool!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.